Erectile Dysfunction ; A study in Jordan to determine the percentage of ED among men in the Middle East shows that approximately 49.9% of males suffer from erectile dysfunction or impotence.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence among men in the Middle East :
The percentage due to 1150 participants were randomly selected to fill out the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5) questionnaire to define causes, signs and symptoms.
- Age: erectile dysfunction is a frequent problem among older men; studies showed that 53% of men at the age of 40 have sexual dysfunction compared to 72% of male at age of 60 and 89% of men over 70 years.
- Smoking: more than 54% of male participants at the study are smokers or just quit smoking after being heavy smokers for a long period. Tobacco use was found to increase the risk factor of ED.
- Obesity: overweight men are in a significant risk for erectile dysfunction compared to men with healthy weight.
- Diseases: men suffer from diabetes, hypertension or arteriosclerosis demonstrate high prevalence of ED, especially when there is no prescription drug adherence
Impotence considered a frequent problem for diabetic male particularly who poorly controlled blood glucose levels; moreover, medication drugs used to cure diabetes affect men sexual performance.However, It is a risk not to get the appropriate treatment for those diseases.
- Education: higher prevalence of ED is more frequent in less educated men. Men with more education are less likely to experience impotence,probably because they are to maintain a healthier life style in general and will seek treatment for any risk factor that might be associated with ED.
- Economy: erectile dysfunction is closely linked to the monthly income.
Being unemployed or underpaid can contribute to erectile dysfunction because over stress cause or worsen ED especially at young age.
Moreover, economy affects the ability to get the adequate treatment hence the tests and prescribed medications are expensive.
- Exercising more and following a healthy diet decrease the incidence of ED and improve sexual performance.
Study showed that approximately 17.8% of men suffer from premature ejaculation especially young adults who have normal libido.
Impotence can be frustrating, and it affects self-confidence, furthermore it might contribute relationship problems.
Less than 39% of men who have ED used prescription medications like sildenafil, Tadalafil.
Less than 30% of men who have erectile dysfunction asked for medical advice.
Approximately 8.5% of men used the above mentioned medication drugs adhere to the appropriate drug dose.
Embarrassment and expensive medication drugs deprive ED patients from getting the appropriate treatment.
This study and other worldwide studies paved the way to create an integrated health strategy to decrease this problem. ED can be treated and can expose other underlying diseases as well. In addition to that it gives hope to ED patients declaring that treatment can be found.
Studies demonstrate as well the necessity of improving unhealthy behaviors like tobacco use, lack of exercise, not complying with medications of different diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular.
Nevertheless, that wrongful excessive unprescribed medicines use might cause and worsen the erectile dysfunction.
You may interest for this Sexual Health topic :-
- Eat these foods for treat erectile dysfunction
- Sexual HEALTH ISSUES and Sexology
- Diseases Transmitted By Sex Relation
- Fertility and Procreation; Overwork can be one of the reasons of Infertility
- Sexual Violence against Children and Its Psychological Fallout
- List of the most popular alternative medicine types
- sexual intercourse :Basic rules for women’s intimate hygiene
- Discover What Garlic Does to Body’s Arteries!
- Sexual health